Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wishing it were all over

Let's get politics out the way first. I will be so glad when this election is history. Of course, I hope it turns out the "right" way, and some of what I'm feeling is anxiety that it will go the other way. If John McCain were elected, I would sigh, shake my head, and go on with my life, telling myself that he couldn't possibly be as bad the one we've got now. But it would be nice to have a president who I could be enthusiastic about. And if McCain were elected, Pistol-Packing Sarah has a 20-25% chance (according to actuarial tables) of becoming president. Jeez Louise.... What a travesty. Just when you think we can't sink any lower.... I don't even like to think about it.

On another front, the Georgia-based politician I most despise is getting a run for his money, and I find that I have mixed feelings about it. Senator Saxby Chambliss, who was elected in 2002 after a campaign that can only be described as shameful*, is currently neck and neck with Democratic challenger Jim Martin. I've always thought of Martin as a quietly effective public servant, but I'm having problems with the ads he and the Democrats are running on TV and radio. They are as misleading as any political ads I've ever seen or heard.** Part of me wants to say, "Yeah, suck on that, Saxby," but I can't help it - they're really embarrassing. Is politics really an enterprise where anything is okay if your side wins? Well, it obviously is to lots of folks, including a bunch of people who are sitting at their desks in a large white house north of here right now. Of course, I'll hold my nose and vote for Jim Martin, but I wish it didn't have to be this way.

*Chicken hawk Chambliss ran ads implying that then-Senator Max Cleland, who had three limbs blown off by a grenade in Vietnam, was somehow an unpatriotic traitor.

**One ad features a country song decrying "Saxby economics." It's a horrible piece of pandering to the dumbest citizens of Georgia, but I admit that it's got one good line: "Saxby economics, don't trickle down on me."

No comments: