Monday, July 23, 2012

Another Mass Killing

Three days ago a young man armed with with a pistol, a shotgun, and an assault rifle opened fire in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, killing 12 people and wounding 58.  The shooter was captured almost immediately.  His motives are unclear at this time, although it seems fairly obvious that he has mental problems.  The country is shocked, horrified, surprised. 

Not me.

This is the United States.  Mass shootings and multiple murders have become part of our life.  They should be expected at this point.  Mentally unstable mass killers pop up every few months, like tornadoes do.  They're part of the American fabric.  Too bad, but that's the way it is.

Why are these mass killings so common in the U. S.?  Hell if I know.  I mean, we love our guns more than any other developed nation on Earth, and it's easier to arm yourself here than almost anywhere else on the planet.  And we don't seem to value mental health care as much as some other countries.  But that doesn't really explain it.  I don't know, except that killing as many fellow citizens as you can seems to be as American as baseball at this point.

I'm not quite sure why I'm writing this.  I'm not calling for stricter gun laws.  I personally think that would be a good idea, but it ain't gonna happen.  I might as well plead for laws banning tornadoes. 

I'm not shocked by this attack.  I'm actually surprised that people seem so surprised.  It's happened many times before; it will happen many times again.  When I read this in a year, there will have been several more "shocking" mass killings. 

It's America.  Get used to it.

No comments: